ADVISING COMPANIES AND INVESTORS IN THE SOFTWARE ECONOMY
We help our clients make decisions with confidence. We deliver the specialized capabilities and agility required to address the rapidly shifting competitive landscapes of the Software Economy.
INVESTMENT & ACQUISITION GUIDANCE
- Product & Technology Diligence
- A pre-investment assessment of product, product roadmap, software architecture, technical debt, and general process and people associated with a software organization. The assessment also includes an evaluation of hosting and security operations for organizations where that is relevant (SaaS, online business services, etc.) We evaluate the strength of a target’s technology assets and capabilities, and product organization & processes using code audits, interviews, secondary research, and analysis of over 80 artifacts that we collect, all in the context of the emerging investment thesis.
CASE STUDY: Conducting Product and Tech Diligence
- Commercial Diligence
- A pre-investment assessment of investment theses that analyzes market opportunities and risks. We evaluate the market opportunity, competitive landscape, market segmentation, customer purchasing behavior and other market dynamics. Using a combination of primary and secondary research and qualitative and quantitative methods, we provide our clients a detailed analysis and consultation on the market and competitive factors relevant to the investment decision. CASE STUDY: Conducting Market Diligence
- Integration Strategy and Planning
- A detailed strategy and execution plan for integrating the roadmaps and capabilities of a potential target with an acquiring company. This includes a review of the product portfolios, assessment of the technical architectures and go-to-market capabilities of the target and acquirer, and recommendations on how to best realize market opportunity and investment value through integration strategy. CASE STUDY: Optimizing Acquisition Integration
- Software Development Effectiveness
- An assessment of a company’s software development organization for capacity, talent, and process, to improve productivity, timeliness, predictability, quality, and overall alignment with the corporate strategy. We analyze the organization through site visits, interviews, data analysis, and benchmarking, and offer a detailed strategy on how to improve internal and external integration, communication and governance. CASE STUDY: ENHANCING SOFTWARE PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
INSIGHTS: 5 PRACTICES THAT BOOST SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT EFFECTIVENESS
- Technology Strategy & Roadmap
- An analysis of the client’s technology roadmap and potential alternatives, including assessment of cost, risk, and alignment with a company’s strategic objectives. We help companies identify and flesh out the most suitable technology strategy and architecture roadmap – sometimes building on internal efforts and sometimes on brand new ideas. This engagement may be delivered in the context of a potential re-platforming initiative or a major transformational effort – such as a substantial acquisition or a SaaS transformation. INSIGHTS: THE BENEFITS OF A SAAS TRANSFORMATION (OBVIOUS AND NON-OBVIOUS)
- Product Strategy & Roadmap
- An engagement to analyze the company’s product roadmap and provide recommendations for improvement in product strategy and roadmap based on market and competitive research, team capabilities, development cost and risk, and technology underpinnings. This type of engagement typically includes primary research on the competitive landscape and market greenspace. It may also entail post-merger consolidation or rationalization of a product portfolio. Like other engagements, it leverages our combination of capabilities in understanding and assessing competitive marketplaces and our deep expertise in software technologies. CASE STUDY: OPTIMIZING PRODUCT ROADMAP FOR GROWTH
- Go-to-Market Strategy
- A strategy engagement to realign product, pricing, and sales & marketing strategies based on the available market opportunities. We define the customer value proposition by segment, considering the core capabilities and differentiators of the company and its products relative to market fundamentals and the competitive landscape. Our approach relies on extensive primary research, and results in a set of actionable recommendations to better serve and monetize the most attractive customer segments through improvements to product strategy (e.g. product versioning and extensions), pricing strategy (e.g. price / value alignment and bundling), and sales & marketing strategy (e.g. alignment of sales force and channel partner network with nature and size of the opportunity).CASE STUDY: ACCELERATING SALES RESULTS BY REFRAMING PRODUCT POSITIONING, MESSAGING AND SALES
- Growth Strategy
- An evaluation of potential vectors to accelerate a company’s top-line growth by expanding its addressable market – whether it be through moving up-market or down-market, extending into new verticals or geographies, capturing a greater share of customer workflow and wallet, or adding new user personas and use cases. Our approach considers the market opportunity, the “fit” with the company’s existing strategy, product line and brand / positioning, as well as internal capabilities, in order to develop a set of actionable recommendations around which opportunities to pursue, how to pursue them (e.g. buy vs. build), and a high-level strategic roadmap. CASE STUDY: ASSESSING GROWTH POTENTIAL AND DIVESTMENT OPTIONS ACROSS BUSINESS PORTFOLIO
- Sellside Engagements
- Our team has been advising executives, boards of directors and investors, of both publicly-traded and privately-held companies in the Software Economy, for more than three decades. Our extensive contact networks enable rapid connectivity with key influencers and decision makers representing the world’s active acquirers. On behalf of our clients, we have negotiated merger agreements with the most disciplined and sophisticated of leading tech acquirers, including Adobe, IBM, Oracle, Qualcomm and Xerox, in addition to many of the world’s top Private Equity buyers.
- Buyside Engagements
- Our deep understanding of the Software Economy ecosystems combined with our established M&A Strategy consulting capability, as well as teams’ extensive corporate development experience, all enable us to provide complete buyside M&A solutions. Often bringing together our Investment Banking and Strategy Consulting teams, we work with investors, executives and corporate development teams to help them develop inorganic growth strategies, and then identify, diligence, and negotiate and close targeted acquisitions.
- Growth Equity Financing
- Whether seeking capital for growth, shareholder liquidity, or acquisition financing, our Private Capital Markets team leverages three decades of experience uniting tech companies with the most appropriate investment partners. Our clients have included emerging tech companies investing aggressively for growth, established and profitable tech companies seeking liquidity for founders and shareholders, and tech companies seeking capital to pursue inorganic growth opportunities. Our unique relationships and capabilities enable our clients to access the private capital markets when desired, while maintaining operational focus on the business.
We work with businesses whose primary strategic assets are software and data. We understand what drives valuation in these sectors and have the ability to rapidly dissect our clients’ businesses and competitive differentiation, leading to the most impactful advice and positioning. Our team predominantly works with companies in the following sectors:
- Enterprise Software
- Healthcare IT
- Consumer Internet
- Vertical Applications
- Marketing and Ad Tech
- Infrastructure Software
- Call Center & Communications
Why Hire Us
Technical + Business Expertise
We have experience and methodologies that range from the keyboard to the board room. Our team has a deep understanding of software architectures, technologies and processes, along with business insight developed through hundreds of strategy engagements and executive roles with leading Software Economy companies. We understand how technology can be a key driver of the business model and business strategy and approach our projects with the technical and business perspective required to win in the Software Economy.
Software Economy Experience
Our leadership comprises entrepreneurs who have founded 12 companies worth over $1 billion, executives who have led over 20 technology companies, and investors who have funded over 50 venture and growth-stage technology companies. Our broad experience gives us the ability to quickly analyze competitive landscapes in software sectors. Our robust knowledgebase covers all software sectors, giving us the unique ability to identify emerging organizations and their innovations.
Our team has a deep understanding of software architectures, technologies and processes. We understand how technology can be a key driver of the business model and business strategy. We approach our projects with both a technical and business perspective. We have experience and methodologies that range from the keyboard to the board room.
Network and Relationships
Our relationships with investors and buyers are both broad and deep. We understand better than others the key players, competitive dynamics, and what is driving demand for investments and acquisitions within a sector. Similarly, our cross border capabilities in North America and Europe gives us a global perspective and the ability to work efficiently with clients and their prospective partners in both geographies to deliver the optimal outcome.
An in-depth look at these vulnerabilities and how they affect you Recently, several parallel groups of researchers announced the discovery of two vulnerabilities in modern CPUs from Intel, AMD, and ARM-based chip manufacturers that threaten the performance and security of… Read More →
Meltdown and Spectre will wreak havoc for years to come Last week, in between presidential tweets about nuclear buttons and record cold across the country, the tech industry quietly absorbed what could become the biggest computing catastrophe since the Pentium… Read More →
When considering an investment in a software company, what are the most important factors to weigh? Investors, VC and PE alike, tend to prioritize analysis of multiples and revenue projections that determine whether the company can deliver a satisfactory ROI.… Read More →